Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Don't Give up...Don't Ever Give Up...

Last week I had a meeting with a business associate when they noticed the LIVESTRONG band adorned on my right wrist. With the Tour de France underway, he asked me if I was wearing the bright yellow band in support of Lance Armstrong, who is returning to the Tour for the first time since 2005. I jokingly told him that I was not a big bike racing fan, just a fan against cancer.

A few years ago, I had worn that same band made famous by Armstrong as a fashion statement. Today, the band means much more to me. Last October I received the heartbreaking news that my grandmother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Having to wait in gut wrenching agony over the coming days and weeks as countless doctors worked to determine the severity of the disease and the course of action for her treatment was a true test for our family.

My grandmother is the type of person that shows no fear. She is an emotional woman, yet remarkably brave, resilient, strong and steadfast. I knew that if anyone in the world could beat cancer, it was her. We were not nearly as strong as she was. We were concerned, worried, distraught and angry; why would this happen to her? What did she do wrong? She doesn’t deserve this!

The day I learned of the diagnosis, 772 miles separating us, I spoke with her on the phone and told her that I loved her and that WE would all beat this cancer together. I think I told her that more for myself than for her. She knew she could beat it, I was trying to convince myself. After that conversation, I dug through my drawers and pulled out that old LIVESTRONG band. What was once a fashion symbol created by marketing executives was now a symbol of hope and belief.

In the coming weeks, after dozens of tests, doctors visits and scans, we received the news we had all been hoping and praying for: the cancer was in its early form and with aggressive radiation treatment, it could be treated. Even in her late 70’s I knew she would conquer this disease.

Today, the cancer is in remission and she is as healthy as ever. This miracle could not have been possible if not for the generosity of millions of people around the world, donating billions of dollars for cancer research.

Today is the 5th annual Don't Give Up ESPYS V Foundation Auction on ESPN Radio. Hundred of unique experiences are available for auction both online and on ESPN Radio. Even if you are unable to bid on these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, please log-on to the V Foundation website or call 1-800-4JIMMYV to donate as much or as little as you can. 100% of your contributions will go directly to cancer research.

And as for that bright yellow LIVESTRONG band on my right wrist, I have not removed it for a second since that fateful day in October. Every time I look down, it reminds my of the strength and resiliency my grandmother has displayed every day since and gives me hope that one day, we will cure this disease forever.


No comments:

AstroTurf

"This is not your father's AstroTurf" - Archie Manning